Citadelle and Plains of Abraham
The name Plains of Abraham is commonly used to designate the Battlefields Park. Perched on a natural promontory along the North-Shore, it soars over the majestic St. Lawrence River. Created in 1908 to mark Quebec City’s tricentenial celebration, the battle of 1759-1760 between the French and the British took place here, on this parkland. La Citadelle de Quebec comprises the fortifications located on Cap Diamant, in the heart of Old-Quebec. Adjacent to the Plains of Abraham, La Citadelle is an integral part of Old-Quebec’s fortifications. Typical of late XVIIIth and early XIXth century architecture, it has been the headquarters for the Canadian Armed Forces’ Royal 22nd Infantry Regiment since 1920, and is located near the Quebec City Armoury.